Blog #4 ‘Building momentum’
The Surviving MLM aka Network Marketing Series by Mikal Mekki
What is momentum? It is when the pace of your team moves faster and bigger than your individual efforts. In my opinion this is where network marketing gets fun!
Every company or team goes through 5 phases.
- Formulation – When the product or concept is being developed and launched.
- Concentration – When the early adopters are joining and concentrating on the systems that will make the business grow.
- Momentum – The fun factory. This is where leaders show up and create a culture. Often the culture created is one that is grown organically from the field by a leader or group of leaders that join at the same time.
- Stability - Now the top earners are doing well and things are smooth sailing. There are no dramatic success stories like before. But a steady gradual growth. This is where some folks get bored or forget the system of success.
- Destabilization – Something breaks in the system. People start to panic, some leave for good reasons and others figure out how to get back momentum. We also call this a winter in your business. But it is only a season for those that study success and practice success principals.
Although a company will go through the first two phases once, they will go through the last 2 or 3 over and over. It is not every year but it will happen.
Key focus for the purpose of this conversation is how to build momentum. Nothing stays the same forever. If you can learn to create momentum then you will be able to handle the situation when things flatten or decline in your business.
When you talk to people who have had massive MOMENTUM they sometimes say all they did was 1-2-3 and everything worked out just fine. That is because building momentum in our industry can sometimes feel like giving birth. That is to say it can be hard, it feels like you can’t take it, then all of a sudden new life appears on your team.
Now I am not woman but I have heard the pain of birth is beyond description. Yet women do it and then talk about it years later in the form of a time-line. Now stay with me women I don’t want any hate mail. I am saying the pain is not all they talk about. I have heard women talk about where they were when they went into labor, how long it lasted and how supportive their incredible partner was through the whole thing. Okay I rarely hear that last part but you women should give a shout out sometimes. Lol
All right back to the point. So when women look at their children they are not having flashbacks of the pain. They are remembering it was a challenge and they made it. That is how we feel as leaders who have created momentum. We will tell you where we were when. That is what we talk about. Rarely will we give you the horror story. We probably blocked that out or now that time has passed leaders realize it really was not that bad.
See when you talk to a leader we will say things like, “I did it and you can too.”
What we are not saying is, “I stayed up late nights worrying if I was doing it right and even cried a few times. I doubted my self a few times and even got frustrated with the pace of my growth.”
It is not that as leaders we don’t want you to know the truth. It is just that we have spent too much time focusing on the positive outcome we have, that we forget the gory details of the climb up the mountain.
So how can this help you build momentum? I want you to get it through your head right now that there are no new problems. There are no new challenges; time constraints or whatever excuses you will give yourself for not making it.
If other folks have figured out how to build momentum then you can too.
Now I hope you recognize this whole time I have been talking about real momentum. Anyone can join and make a sell. Anyone can join and get a business partner or a few business partners.
BUT THAT IS WHERE MOST PEOPLE GET STUCK
They are pregnant with the possibility of success, and not for nine months, but for their entire career. They never give it that focus and push it requires. They are always GETTING READY TO GET READY.
My opinion on why people won’t build momentum; It is because they don’t want to go through the pain of labor to give birth to an organization.
So once again, what is momentum? It is when the pace of your team moves faster and bigger than your individual efforts. In my opinion this is where network marketing gets fun!
- How do you build it? You believe in a mission! You get sold out on the vision of how your life and everyone’s life that joins the team will be changed.
- Now be careful. The mission has to be about the people and you. Not just you. Don’t make the mission your new car. Make the mission about something everyone can believe in, a social cause or issue.
- How do you drive it? You start off by being as active as YOU CAN for 90 days.
- That means if you have a job work in you spare time but put in a full time effort.
- That means you have a list of people you are going to contact and you work through every name on the list with a fierce time focus.
- Go all out and try to bring in as many personal recruits to your business as you can. Don’t worry about trying to be perfect, just try to be busy.
- If possible run with a finisher aka a leader in your company. Let them know you vision, allow them to help you craft the pitch of your vision and let them work with the people you bring on.
- How do you protect it? Create a simple system. Do not let any complicated system get in the way! Or any complicated person!
- Make sure your system of success is simple! 3 to 5 steps.
- Make sure it is so simple that anyone can repeat the steps.
- Make sure you talk about the steps so much that people think you area broken record.
- Make sure everyone repeats the mission to his or her team members at every possible chance. The system should be a focus so strong that even the newest people hear about it on the first day they join.
- BIGGEST TIP! Create massive recognition around people that have success through the system.
Remember momentum is the only way to make incredible income in this business. Slow and steady rarely wins the race here. Slow and steady will usually get a LOW AND STEADY commission check. Who wants that?
You want a rock start check, you want people hitting new ranks, getting bonuses and earning company incentives.
When you create an atmosphere of momentum it will run away from you.
Last tip! BEWARE OF YOUR FRICKIN EGO!!!!!!
When the team starts to grow be sure to allow other leaders to emerge and take over the position of co-leader. Don’t be afraid if people even move faster than you through your team. If you create a great system that means it will be easier for others to have success.
What ever you do, don’t eat your young! Don’t become envious of their success to the point where you cannibalize their name or reputation to slow them down.
Of course if you are on a team. HOW DO YOU PROTECT THE MOMENTUM THE LEADER CREATED? Make sure you keep cheering on the leader. Be sure to protect the leaders image, and be sure to keep the team positive.
The biggest killer to momentum is negative talk amongst the team. Often this stuff never gets to you as a leader until it is too late. The best way to keep momentum alive is to make everyone on the team responsible for keeping the team a happy place.
So that is it, another 1 of the 31 success strategies on surviving this journey to success in network marketing.
Sound fun yet?
Trust me when you are making enough passive income to not have to work a job, you will be happy you followed the path to success in this industry.
#survivingmlm #runningwithfinishers #success #coaching #wisdom #fitness#gym #gymlife #mikalmekki #networkmarketing #mlm #homebasedbusiness #GrantCardone #ericworre #lesbrown #buildyourempire #keynotespeaker #motivationalspeaker #millionaire #cypto #money #wealth #getpaid #BrendonBurchard